Eating out when being on a gluten-free diet can be challenging, especially when there were previous disappointments with the food quality or cross contamination. However, special occasions are best celebrated with a meal at the restaurant and gluten intolerants can now have a tasty and safe meal each time they go out. Gluten free menus and even dedicated gluten-free restaurants have taken Vancouver by storm! And it looks like this trend is here to stay!
There are various types or restaurants, starting with small bistros which offer gluten-free breakfast and brunch and ending with high-end dining locations which have designed separate menus for the celiacs and non-celiac gluten sufferers. We have made a selection of coeliac-friendly restaurants and grouped them according to their main theme for an easy search.
Pizza and pasta
- Nicli Antica Pizzeria – delicious pizza cooked on a stone over for an authentic Neopolitan taste and a gluten-friendly menu which enables you to try a variety of dishes.
- Via Tevere Pizzeria Napoletana – boosting a great variety of pizzas and pasta, as well as some of the best Italian desserts, this restaurant is certainly worth a visit. The menu is coeliac-friendly, so that gluten intolerants can have their share of Italian delights.
- Al Porto Ristorante – this Italian restaurant knows how to enchant its clients. Almost all the main dishes in the menu can be adapted to the gluten-free diet, so that all people at the table can enjoy their meals.
- Vancouver Pizza Company – with a great attention to cross-contamination and a varied selection of gluten-free beers, this place is a must go for every gluten intolerant looking for a safe place to eat.
- Outback Steakhouse – with a special that features numerous options and gives alternatives for sauces and side dishes which may contain gluten, this place does care about its gluten intolerant clients.
Bakeries & Breakfast
- Mint Tea – a small café with delicious buns and pancakes. The menu, although not extremely varied, is changed periodically in accordance with the season and the specific ingredients available at the local market.
- Aphrodite’s Café & Pie Shop – delicious pies and a scoop of ice-cream are the ultimate treat at this place. And these, as well as most of the other cooked goodies are gluten-free.
- Nuba – a Lebanese restaurant with vegan and gluten-free options that will satisfy even the pickiest tastes. Their hummus is certainly worth waiting for a seat at this popular restaurant.
- Graze – if you are raw-vegan, vegan or vegetarian and gluten-intolerant, this place is paradise for you! Boosting a great variety of dishes with an incredible flavor and interesting plating, Graze is a hit among vegans and carnivores alike.
- The Acorn – a delightful experience which includes great food and sensational plating. This vegetarian restaurant with a special care for gluten intolerants is a must try when you want to be impressed.
- Minami (Japanese) – delicious sushi and sea food prepared so as to avoid cross contamination, perfect for a light, yet extremely flavored meal.
- La Tacqueria Taco Shop (Mexican) – authentic Mexican food that will bring the South a little bit closer. Their gluten-free menu is varied, ranging from pork confit with pickled vegetables to beef tongue. Homemade salsas are also available to add extra flavor to your food.
- Twisted Fork Bistro (French) – a good choice for an exquisite breakfast or a flavor-filled brunch.
- Bambudda (Asian) – a nice Asian restaurant with a twist. The creative menu has a vast array of gluten-free foods, so that you will want to come again and again to exhaust all the options.
These are only a few of the dinning places which offer gluten-free menus. The list is a good starting point, but if you like to sample more of Vancouver has to offer, step inside each one of its restaurants and ask for gluten-free menus. It is very likely that they have one ready for you, as more and more businesses are aware of the gluten intolerance problem.